Question(s) of the Week: What would be expected of you and your crew if a major tornado (or riot) struck your community? What is the safest place to shelter in your station? How would your department handle the possible loss of radio/phone communications? How would you handle your crew members need to check on their families?
- In 1977, while fighting a residential arson fire, an Indiana firefighter suffered a heart attack and died on June 1st.
- In 1967, a firefighter was killed while fighting a multi-building fire in Chicago. He was assisting moving a ground ladder when it came in contact with overhead wires.
- In 1900, three firefighters were killed in Foxboro, MA when the bell tower of a school collapsed. Two died on June 1 and one died on June 6.
- In 2008, a fire at Universal Studio Hollywood destroys hundreds of thousands of audio and video files from some of the world’s most popular artists.
- Starting on June, 1st 1950, and burning through the end of October, the Chinchaga fire is the largest single wildfire in North American history. The fire consumed an estimated 3.5 million acres.
- In 2011, a long track F3 tornado ripped through several towns in Massachusetts, killing 3 and injuring 7